Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Jeff and his story.

Well, maybe there's a god above
But all I've ever learned from love
Is how to shoot someone who outdrew you
It's not a cry that you hear at night
It's not somebody who's seen the light
It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah.
-Hallelujah (1984), Leonard Cohen 

I know this is an old song to talk about because it's been covered by so many musicians (and still continues to be). I have to say, with all due respect, that I relate to Jeff Buckley's interpretation the most (also because I think his voice is amazing, just too amazing). With a little research, I learned that Cohen's version has a more upbeat and joyous sound. Buckley's is more sexual and sad.
I don't know how many times I've listened to this song (mostly the Buckley version) but I never tire of listening to it again and again. And it touches me somehow, I can feel the sorrow from his voice. Quite moving. 
I can't explain why it's taken me so long to write about this. Oh yes, because I'm not that much of a talker. Especially about music. Which is not too good for my line of work. 

The Smiths There is a Light that Never Goes Out

peace+love

No comments: