Friday, February 4, 2011

Oscar Wilde's Lord Henry

{21 Jan 2011}

Yup I'm reading 3 books at a time. There's Anna Karenina, Man Gone Down, and The Picture of Dorian Gray. Sue me. So I was reading Dorian Gray today and I came across this part (I'm only in the second chapter, mind you) where Lord Henry is talking to Dorian Gray and messing up Dorian's mind in the process:

"...And beauty is a form of genius - higher, indeed, than genius, as it needs no explanation. It is (....) like sunlight, or springtime. It cannot be questioned. (.....) Ah! realize your youth while you have it. Don't squander the gold of your days, listening to the tedious, trying to improve the hopeless failure, or giving away your life to the ignorant, the common, and the vulgar. These are the sickly aims, the false ideals, of our age. Live! Live the wonderful life that is in you! "

I edited this excerpt because the original text is way longer (hence the dots in between sentences) and also I wanted to highlight the main point of his 'speech': Embrace your youth before it's too late. And this kind of stuff always hits me because I always have the feeling of not living my life to its fullest (yet).

|image from we love typography, via nevver|

peace+love


No comments: